The only industry which will keep on flourishing is the food and beverage industry because people will always walk into the restaurants to satisfy their basic needs i.e. food hunger. The staff members over there include, Waiters/Waitresses and servers play a crucial role in fulfilling the customers need. The basic waitress job description is to take orders and serve food and beverages to patrons at tables in a dining establishment. But everyone thinks waitressing is just waiting on tables. However there is much more that is part of waitress job description. Welcome customers with a smile or a warm greeting.
List of duties that are part of the waitress job description.
- Make the customer comfortable by escorting him/her to the table.
- If there are any specials for the day, the waitress should make the customer aware.
- Write patrons food orders on order slips, memorize orders, or enter orders into computers for transferring to kitchen staff. Then, she has to read out the placed order to the customer for confirmation.
- Make sure that the salt, pepper, sugar bottles are filled and kept on the table.
- Waitress Job Description also includes cleaning the table after the patron has finished dining.
- Prepare tables for meals, including setting up items such as linens, silverware, and glassware.
- Presenting menu to customers and answer their questions about the menu items.
- Make recommendation in terms of food and drinks if customer asks for it.
- Prepare checks that itemize and total meal costs and sales taxes.
- Take payments from the customer.
These were the basic duties that are part of the waitress job description. In addition to this another important duty is to verify the customer’s age in order to find out if he/she is eligible for alcohol consumption. A waitress also has to attend phone calls and take reservations.
Waitress Job description : Customer Service is paramount!
Everyone’s job description should list customer service. Waiting on tables is a sub part of the service sector and needless to mention customer service being on the top list of a waitress job description. In every restaurant job, duty of a waitress will remain the same however what will make an “A” grade restaurant an “A+” restaurant is the service provided by the staff. It’s not what you do but how you do it, which is more important and creates a mark on customers mind.
A waitress will have to deal with rude customers, screaming children and people who don’t tip, but the enthusiasm shouldn’t dip. Every customer needs to be treated as a first customer. Attending to furious customers, answering and solving their complaints in a polite manner is one such duty that needs to be carried out skillfully. Escalating the complaint to the superiors and handing over the customer to the supervisors if required .Total customer satisfaction is what should be the aim of any waitress which completes the waitress job description. Maintaining a healthy relationship with colleagues and other staff is also important.
As similar to external customers, internal customers are equally important and taking care of the workplace environment is of utmost importance as service begins from home. Click here to return to the home page of Waitress Job Description .org